- Tamil Nadu has given India quite a few seasoned cricketers. The most prominent one among them is Ravichandran Ashwin.
- He has a bowling record of 409 wickets in test matches and 150 wickets in one-day matches.
- He is one of the most successful spinners, after Anil Kumble and Harbhajan Singh.
- All successful bowlers have their own style. Anil Kumble would start bowling a spin and transform it into a medium pace ball. Harbhajan had his ‘Doosra’. For Ashwin, it is Carrom Ball. Carrom Ball starts off like an off-spin and ends up as a leg spin. This is Ashwin’s speciality.
- He is the fastest Indian bowler to have 350 wickets against his name. Fans hope to see him achieve the milestone of being the fastest bowler to have 500-wickets to his credit.
- When Ashwin scored his first century, most of the audience went, ‘Wow, he can bat too!’. Actually, he started his cricket career as a batsman. For a long time, he was the opening batsman for India’s U17 team. Later on his interest took a turn toward bowling. Another interesting fact. Do you know who replaced him as the opening batsman? It was the ‘Hitman’ Rohit Sharma!
- He is delivering a great performance in the IPL series too. Under his captaincy, the Kings XI of Punjab have seen a good number of victories.
- His fans were delighted when he took another role – a tv host. He is hosting a cricket quiz programme named ‘Aatathuku Readya’, which is being broadcasted on Star Sports Tamil. The programme is gaining a steady viewership.
- In 2016, ICC announced him as the ‘Cricketer of the Year’.